What To Know About Different Colors of Gold

When we buy gold jewelry, the first type many of us think of is, of course, yellow gold. But there are several other colors of gold! So, whether you’re buying an engagement ring or a beautiful piece of jewelry, consider various metals so you can buy what’s best. What to know about different colors of gold ranges from color to karats!

The Main Colors of Gold

We make gold jewelry by mixing various metals, so it comes in several interesting colors, including:

  • Yellow gold
  • Rose gold
  • White gold
  • Purple gold
  • Blue gold
  • Green gold
  • Black gold

Although gold comes in all these wonderful colors, most gold jewelry is yellow, rose, white, or green.

Does Gold Color Matter?

Why is looking at the different colors important? Well, if you’re shopping for an important piece, such as an engagement ring, then you want to buy what tells your love story. If you’re shopping together, get what speaks to you as a couple. The perfect ring speaks to both partners. Everyone has different fashion tastes. One tip for selecting an engagement ring is to look at the styles and colors—each color best suits different skin tones.

Why Is Gold Colored?

When we mix gold with different materials, the result is a variety of colors due to how these elements interact when mixed. For instance, rose gold comes from a mixture of gold, silver, and copper. The copper is what gives it the signature pinkish hue.

What Karats Mean

As you evaluate what to know about different colors of gold, don’t overlook karats. Karats measure how pure the gold is since most gold jewelry is a mixture of different metals. Ideally, gold jewelry is around 18 karats. This means it’s around 87 percent pure gold; the remaining 13 percent is an alloy or other metals. Yellow gold is the purest because it’s mixed with fewer metals.

What Color Is the Most Popular?

Despite its growing popularity, rose gold isn’t the most common choice of jewelry. Yellow gold has maintained its place as the most popular choice, but white gold isn’t far behind. Price and tradition play into these rankings. Yellow gold has been the traditional choice for years, but it’s also expensive.

Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments