(Family Features) An innovative sushi-style concept, “beefshi” features convenient beef products like pastrami, roast beef, summer sausage, hot dogs, corned beef, or bologna prepared in rolls with rice and vegetables. You can beef up your menu with a trendy twist with a recipe like this Beefy Cali Roll that includes corned beef, avocado, and cucumber. Find more information and recipes at beefshi.com.
Beefy Cali RollPrint Recipe
- 1 Cup Water
- 1/4 Cup Rice Vinegar
- 1/2 Cup Plain Yogurt
- 1 Tablespoon Mustard
- 1 Tablespoon of Horseradish
- 1/2 Avocado, mashed until smooth
- 2 Sheets of Nori
- 2 Cups of prepared Sushi Rice
- 6 Thin slices of Corned Beef
- 1/2 Avocado, cut into slivers
- 1/4 Cucumber, cut lengthwise into thin strips
- Rice Seasoning
- Wasabi Peas
- To make hand vinegar: In a small bowl, stir the water and rice vinegar.
- To make the piquant sauce: In a small bowl, blend yogurt, mustard, horseradish, and avocado.
- To make maki: Lay sushi mat on a clean surface. Moisten hands with hand vinegar and shake off excess. Place one nori sheet on a mat, shiny side down. Spread 1 cup rice across nori, leaving 1 inch empty at the farthest end.
- Lay half of corned beef, avocado, and cucumber crosswise along with rice, covering half the surface closest to you.
- Securing the corned beef, avocado, and cucumber with fingers, use thumbs to push the end of the mat up and over filling until edge of the nori meets rice on the opposite side. Press firmly on the roll.
- Lift the top of mat and roll firmly until tight and round. Squeeze gently to shape the roll. Press ends in carefully to secure loose rice. Remove the mat and set the roll aside.
- Repeat to make the second roll.
- Use a thin, sharp knife to cut each roll into eight slices. Arrange on sushi platter and sprinkle with rice seasoning and wasabi peas. Serve with a piquant sauce.
North American Meat Institute